By the end of 2022, the ETIAS visa exemption for Europe will be introduced. To cross an external border of the Schengen area, third-country nationals applying for a visa must apply for ETIAS. To travel on the VWP without a visa, you must obtain an authorization through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) before boarding a U.S.-bound carrier. ESTA is a web-based system operated by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to determine authorization to travel to the United States for tourism or business under the VWP. Visit the ESTA website on the CBP website for more information. While many EU countries make their visa-free programme available to all passport holders, some only allow certain types of passports. The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) allows most citizens or nationals of participating countries to travel to the United States without a visa for a stay of 90 days or less. Travellers must have a valid travel authorization prior to travel and meet all of the following requirements. If you want to have a visa on your passport, you can still apply for a visit visa. These individuals can apply for visas with regular appointment procedures at a U.S.

embassy or consulate. For those who require a visa to travel urgently to the United States, U.S. embassies and consulates are ready to process applications on an expedited basis. Under the Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act of 2015, travellers in the following categories must obtain a visa before travelling to the United States, as they can no longer travel under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP): the following example for an ordinary U.S. passport holder authorized to reside in Spain under a bilateral agreement , shows how the agreement works. : In accordance with the liberalisation policy of the EU visa regime and this specific visa-free agreement, the total length of stay of an Australian citizen in Europe is 6 months: 3 months throughout the Schengen area, followed by only three months in Germany. It is common knowledge that citizens of many third countries can stay in the Schengen area for up to 90 days without a visa, thanks to the EU`s visa liberalisation policy. Here are some of the reciprocal agreements currently in force between EU and non-European countries, as follows. With the exception of Belgium (2 months), all bilateral agreements between New Zealand and the EU allow for stays of up to 90 days and, in most cases, all passports are accepted. Yes, you can apply for a visitor visa (B) if you prefer it or if you are unable to travel by VWP. In addition, you must apply for a visa if you are travelling by private plane or any other non-VWP-approved air or sea carrier. Check the list of certified carriers.

Even if you intend to stay more than 90 days, then you must apply for a visa. What many travellers do not know is that they have the option of remaining visa-free for more than three months in some European countries, in accordance with eu-bilateral agreements. At the end of the last working day of the 90-day stay, a visitor may apply to stay in an EU country for a longer period if his country of origin has a current formal agreement with that Member State. Most bilateral agreements allow travellers to spend an extra 3 months without a visa. If a person who is excluded from the law because of his or her diplomatic or military presence in one of the seven countries has refused his ESTA, he or she can contact the CBP website or the CBP Information Centre. Travellers can also apply for a non-immigration visa at a U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate. New Zealand has bilateral agreements with 18 countries associated with Schengen and Schengen.